In this post I want to share my answers to the questions in the Visually impaired person tag. You can watch the video below or read on to view my answers. Here is a small glimpse of what life is like when you have low vision.
What medical condition caused you to be blind or visually impaired?
I have Retinopathy of Prematurity. The blood vessels in my eyes did not develop correctly and as a result my retinas had issues. The retina in my right eye completely detached leaving me completely blind in that eye. Doctors managed to save the retina in my left eye and I am thankful to God to have some limited vision in that eye.
- In 3 words, describe your vision?
Three words that describe my vision are variable, unfocussed and blurry. My ability to see changes depending on lighting. I am unable to see details and things seem out of focus to me. I get blurry vision when I am in very bright lighting especially white lights and very bright sunlight
3. What is the hardest thing to do being blind or visually impaired?
The hardest thing is dealing with all of the misconceptions that still exist regarding the blind and visually impaired community. I hope to bring awareness and break down those misconceptions. I also find it frustrating when people address the person accompanying a blind or visually impaired person and disregard the other person because they are visually impaired or blind.
4. What is the best part about being blind or visually impaired?
I would say that it is about being part of a supportive community where people can relate to each other and also living life a little differently.
5. What question do you get asked most about or because of your vision?
I get a lot of questions about my glasses because they are very thick.
6. Do you have a cane, a guide dog or neither?
I use a white cane when I am out on my own.
7. What one piece of advice would you give to someone who is losing,| going to lose, or has lost their vision?
I would say learn as much as you can and asking for help is not a sign of weakness.
8. What is one piece of advice you would you give to a sighted person about interacting with a person who is blind or visually impaired?
Address the blind or visually impaired person directly when they are with a companion.
9.Why did you join YouTube?
I want to share my experiences to hopefully be an encouragement to others.
10. Name 3 people to do this tag.
I put this out there to anyone reading this who is blind or has low vision to share their story.